We Have Answers To Your Personal Injury Questions
Your first step in pursuing compensation for personal injury and wrongful death cases is to find the right attorney for you. The questions and answers below can help you decide how to move forward. Please also feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. Just call 518-785-4900 or contact us online.
Do I really need a personal injury attorney in Albany, New York?
Yes, if you or a family member suffered an injury due to another party’s negligence, your best chance of obtaining full and fair compensation is to work with an experienced attorney. Without an attorney, you will have to face the negligent party’s insurance company on your own. They will have insurance defense lawyers who will try to devalue your claim or possibly deny it.
A personal injury attorney will fight the insurance company for you and will know if the case can be negotiated or needs to go to trial. The attorneys at Anderson, Moschetti & Taffany, PLLC are experienced, tough trial lawyers who know what path each case needs to take.
What does a personal injury attorney do?
Personal injury lawyers help to obtain compensation for the pain and suffering and financial loss to the victims, and families of victims, who suffer injury or death at the hands of a negligent driver, private or municipal property owner, medical provider or product manufacturer.
What makes a good personal injury lawyer?
To be effective, a personal injury lawyer will have qualities and qualifications such as:
- Compassion for clients and their families
- A willingness to go to trial when that is in the client’s best interests
- A reputation as a trial attorney and tough, smart negotiator
- Dedication to getting compensation for all past, current and future losses from the injury or death
- One-on-one relationships with clients, working directly with them throughout the process
What questions should you ask a personal injury lawyer?
Not sure what is important to know about potential lawyers? These questions can help:
- Will an attorney or a paralegal handle my case?
- Do you ever take cases to trial? How will I know if a trial is right for my case?
- How much personal injury experience do you have?
- What is your reputation in the legal community?
- What are your biggest verdicts and settlements?
How much do attorneys get paid from a settlement or verdict?
In New York, attorneys usually receive 33% of the settlement or verdict. In addition, the client may be responsible for certain fees and costs associated with building and pursuing the case. These will also come out of the settlement or verdict.
In general, personal injury cases are handled on contingency fees, which means the client owes nothing if the firm does not recover damages for them. Each firm has their own way of handling case fees and costs, however, so it is best to ask them about their policies.
Does your firm offer free consultations?
Yes. There is no cost or obligation to speak with us about your personal injury claim. Contact us today at 518-785-4900 to schedule your initial appointment.