Slip-and-fall accidents can happen anytime, but hazards increase when snowy and icy conditions return here in Albany. Some parking lot falls may not be anyone’s fault, but they often happen due to the negligence of property owners or others.
In many of these cases, it may not be clear whether you are eligible to file a lawsuit or who is responsible for your injuries. That’s when advice from an experienced personal injury lawyer can help hold those responsible accountable and see that you are compensated for medical costs, lost wages and other damages.
Parking lot owners have a duty of care
We expect commercial property owners to be responsible for maintaining parking lots or garages and protect us from hazards, especially in the winter. To prove you have a claim, your lawyer must help you establish three things:
- The parking lot owner or another party owed you a duty of care.
- The owner or other party failed to provide a safe environment, breaching their duty of care.
- That breach caused your injuries, leading to financial losses.
These types of claims can be very complicated. Knowing who is responsible isn’t always obvious. Parking lot accidents can result from negligence by several parties, including private owners, other motorists, construction companies or governmental bodies.
Evidence used to prove your case
Your attorney will be seeking evidence to show that your slip-and-fall accident was due to someone else’s negligence. For your information, some of the key evidence used in parking lot falls include:
- Security camera video
- Pictures of the scene
- Eyewitness accounts
- Police reports
- Your detailed written account of the incident
- Medical records and medical bills
- Property maintenance records
- Records showing previous incidents similar to yours
- Payroll information highlighting lost wages
But these are all details for later. The first and most crucial step to your recovery is seeing a medical professional. After that, let your lawyer focus on your legal needs and financial recovery while you concentrate on your health.